Grass-Fed Beef Squash Casserole
Recipe provided by DrHardick.com
- 1 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- ¼ cup coconut oil, divided
- 3 organic medium zucchini, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 organic medium yellow squash, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 organic jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 organic green onions, chopped — white and green ends separated
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (no sugar or preservatives added)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup raw Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh organic cilantro
- Cook the ground beef in a stainless steel or cast iron skillet over Medium heat until brown, about 10 minutes. Drain off excess grease. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish with about 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Pour the remaining coconut oil into a large stainless steel or cast iron skillet over Medium-High heat. Cook and stir the zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and the white parts of the green onions until the vegetables begin to soften, 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin. Allow the mixture to simmer until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the browned ground beef, black beans and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese until well combined. Adjust salt and pepper if necessary, and spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling in the center and cheese is browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining green onions (green tops) and cilantro over the top and serve.